A few random thoughts:
- As some of you may know the Braemar Golf Dome is closed because of a fire. My initial thoughts were that it was a bummer, but it wasn’t that big of a deal for me as it isn’t my usual spot for hitting balls in the winter. But on Saturday afternoon, I was a clear victim of the fallout. I went to the Golf Zone in Chaska with the idea of hitting balls for 45 minutes or an hour. But the place was a total and complete mad house.
I knew I was in trouble when I pulled into the parking lot and there wasn’t a single spot. After finding a spot to park my ride, I went inside and there was a waiting list of 15 people just to get a stall. Needless to say, I bailed before hitting a single shot.
- I like the WGC Match Play quite a bit, but the Sunday golf gets to be a bit difficult to watch. I think there is about one commercial for every shot that is played. The good news is that I was busy on Sunday afternoon. I did tape it and zipped through the finals in a little more than an hour. I knew the outcome, but it was the best way to watch the finals. I love the match play, but stroke play can make for much more interesting television.
- Here’s one more reason why I like Rory McIlroy: His choice of headwear. I just can’t approve of these flat-brimmed hats that some of these guys are wearing. Yes, I’m looking at you Hunter Mahan. And Dustin Johnson. And Anthony Kim. You look ridiculous You look like you should be catching air on your sweet skateboard on the halfpipe. I’ll take Rory’s nice fitted hat with the curved brim. If that makes me an old man, so be it.
- Speaking of Mahan, I do approve of the orange belt he was wearing. I used to mock the white belt in a similar manner to how I mocked the flat-brim hat above. But now I’ve embraced the white belt. I saw an orange/white reversible belt recently at Golfsmith and thought it looked pretty good. Would look really good with either these adidas shoes or these from Nike.
- The next driver I want to hit: The Callaway RAZR Fit. I talked with my guy at 2nd Swing who knows my game and he said it would be perfect for me as it has really been bringing down spin rates for a number of guys he has fit. I spin it too much and I’d be cool if I could find something that will launch it high with low spin.
- Four days until I leave on a little weekend golf trip. Yes, I’m very fired up.